Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chris

I realize it has been a LONG time since I have blogged. Sorry. There has been lots going on and not nearly enough time to fit it into a blog. The most recent of our events is Chris. Last Thursday Chris went in for a routine colonoscopy to check and see if the new treatments were working. If you don't remember, he started an IV treatment called Remicade back in July. He goes to an infusion center every 8 weeks to get this treatment. He is there about 2 1/2 hours and then he is done for 8 weeks. Anyway, so he went in and everything looked good. He had one spot that they found at the last colonoscopy that was not responding to the treatment, and during this colonoscopy, the doctor did notice this area was very tight. She did a balloon dilation procedure to open it up. The doctor felt that everything went well. We went home, Chris ate some broth that afternoon and slept. He got up around dinner time for some strained potato soup I made him, and went to lay on the couch. I felt comfortable to leave him, and took Andrew to a PTF meeting at his school. When I returned, I found Chris doubled over in pain. I put the boys in bed and went to take care of Chris. He told me to call the doctor. The doctor directly admitted him to the hospital. She started an IV antibiotic and ordered a CT scan. The CT scan showed a partial obstruction in the small bowel close to where his surgery was 2 years ago. The decided to do some x-rays just to get a better view of the obstruction. Chris spent the weekend in the hospital and by Monday his doctor decided to order a barium study. They did the barium study which took most of Monday to do. They looked over the results and came to the conclusion that surgery was probably the best option for Chris. Tuesday was supposed to be a waiting day for Chris, but the surgeon came in that morning and said they could do the surgery around 4:00 that day. I planned to work 1/2 a day on Tuesday, but got a call later that morning that they were prepping him for surgery. An o.r. had opened up so his surgeon took it. He was in surgery by 11:00 and out around 12:00. The surgeons were able to go in to the small bowel and repair the adhesion. They also went to the area in the transverse colon that was not responding to treatment and were able to go in do a strictoplasty (cut part of the colon, turn it, and sew it back to make the opening bigger). The doctors estimate being in the hospital another 5-6 days. He has had quite a bit of pain, but has that wonderful morphine pump. He is in good spirits.
As for myself, I am trying to juggle between Chris in the hospital, school, and the boys. It has been hard. I was able to work Monday, 1/2 day Tuesday, and will go in tomorrow (Friday). We have wonderful parents that have helped with the boys and staying at the hospital when I cannot be here. We also have a wonderful church and Sunday School class that is helping me by providing food for the boys and I.
The boys are hanging in there. Andrew has a lot more questions than Noah does. Noah asks where daddy is, I tell him, he says okay and moves on. Andrew is very worried about his daddy, and wants to be here with him. I try to spend every evening with them at home.
The doctors are very encouraged by everything. They found NO active crohns when they did the surgery, which is AMAZING! Praise God! That means the remicade is working.
Please continue to pray for Chris and his recovery-his time here in the hospital, and then the 4-6 weeks at home afterward. Also, for the boys and I at home. We appreciate your prayers and are definitely feeling them. God is good!

No comments: